Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Leaving troubling times~

As I wrote a few days ago, our life has had some dramatic shifts. And although we had a multitude Of difficulty in a very short time - we realize that ALL lives have adversity. The truth is, we are blessed. Just having the ability and means to travel is not something we take lightly. And the fact that I am at a nice airport restaurant in Dallas (Ling and Louie's) drinking craft beer and ordering without looking at the price is a new treat!



I often hear people complain about traveling. Finding a parking spot, waiting in line for security, jostling to board a plane - and I get that. I have done enough traveling to know why it isn't something I want to do for a living - but on vacation - I live by the mantra that happiness is a choice.

I am flying to a new spot on the globe (for me). With powdery white beaches, exotic foods, and centuries old buildings - how could I possibly complain?

I am also struck by the "normal America" I am leaving behind for a week. As a police officer, I am fully aware that kooks and criminals are coming out of the cracks with the intention of delivering "retribution" for some wrong they have felt or perceived in their life. I am now a target.  In twenty-five years I have never felt the anger and danger being so distinct. We issued a warning to officers to be exceedingly careful when going somewhere public in uniform alone. Something I do every day...

How can we be in and a part of the community if we can't go into it without measuring each person who comes near us for threats?

I know that most Americans support the police. But perhaps they need to stop doing it so quietly. I read this quote from the Harris County District Attorney prosecuting the man who killed a Texas Deputy gassing his car: "It is now time for the silent majority to come forward to support law enforcement".

Amen.

Because this is a picture of a guy with an obscene sign and loudspeaker yelling at the police below my window at work.  It's true that he is alone - but that also means he has the only voice...


No comments:

Post a Comment