Sunday, August 28, 2022

Vancouver Island B.C. - Day EIGHT (Are Canadians as nice as they say?)

 You’ve probably heard, “Canadians are nice”.  Well…it’s true.  They really are.  From the clerk at the gas station in Qualicum (who wanted to know if Americans really sold beer at gas stations) to the amazing Bill and Ruby who we easily spent an hour chatting with at Nahwitty Lake.  I even shared a quick example of this with them…


       I was sitting on the outdoor camping toilet and noticed graffiti scratched onto the wall at Stella                  Lake Recreation Area.  There was only one verse in the whole structure.  It read: “If we don’t                      keep Stella  clean, they (sic) start to charge us to camp!”  




In all my fifty-five years of camping, I have never seen such polite graffiti.  In fact, one of may favorite US samples was, “I have shit in Spain, I have shit in France, but before I shit here I’ll shit my pants” (Buena Vista, Colorado circa 1979).

All joking aside, there is a gentle politeness about the people here.  It is refreshing.  They are quiet at night and in the morning.  They are pleasant and engaging.  They give me hope.

A bit more about Bill and Ruby.  He is 83 (she is fifteen years younger).  They started traveling together in the early 1990’s when Bill turned 55.  They spent the winter months (for six years) traipsing across Mexico in an RV.  They have traveled much of the west of the United States and most of Canada.  They have been retired FOR THIRTY YEARS!  Bill has a perpetual smile and is spry and energetic.  Ruby is ready with a story and is chock full of wisdom.  I absolutely meant it when I told Bill he was what I aspired to be in retirement!

(Except I will probably never be Canadian :-) )




No comments:

Post a Comment