Sunday, August 28, 2022

Vancouver Island B.C. - Day TEN (Total relaxation)

We woke up late (and on this trip, that means 9:30).  I made Quebec (French) toast, bacon, and hash browns (Marci ate Greek Yogurt).  Today is our last day to sit and do nothing (well, read, play games, etc). I put up my hammock - so we are totally prepared.




I believe that there is a great deal you can ascertain about a culture from their graffiti.  It is random, anonymous, and unsolicited.  The author must be concise.  In the case of a pit toilet, the author must also be determined (you have to scratch in the message for permanence).  I figure some message must be bursting from within the defecator’s soul to stop their business long enough to scratch our their tome for future bathroom goers and posterity.  (As I have mentioned previously) In the United States, this is usually some dirty ditty, an opportunity to  rant (f**k Trump or democrats, or an unknown gang rival), or some version of “I was here”.

But not in Canada.

I can now say that I have been in a wide sampling of outhouses.  Most are absolutely graffiti free.  I did mention one with a sweet (VERY Canadian message about keeping things tidy).  But apparently, the Canadian outhouse is also a very important medium to express your undying affection.  In ONE outhouse I found two distinct pledges of unending affection “S+R=❤️” and the more unfortunate “Jimmy Jon + Dareen” (inside a large heart).Unfortunately, “Dareen” (whether just having been spelled incorrectly by her paramour - or because their love didn’t outlast this coat of paint) has been scratched out.  With no explanation.   I am left with many questions - and should I meet Jimmy Jon later in my travels, I will certainly press him for clarification.








No comments:

Post a Comment